Sunday, June 16, 2024

Father’s Day 6/16/2024

 It’s a beautiful Sunday morning and it’s Father’s Day. A perfect opportunity to tell yall about mine and how lucky I am that for my whole life I have had the privilege of being his daughter. 

My dad turned 91 this year. He was raised in East NY Brooklyn, joined the Marines and served in Korea.  He and my mom married, had 4 children and raised us in bethpage. My parents split when I was 5  but let me tell you something, the father he was through it all was what makes him the greatest man i know.  

He called us everyday at 4pm. A quick chat hello, I love you but we knew he was thinking of us. He worked for the phone company and did side jobs. The man can fix or build anything. He maintained the house we lived in and every other Sunday we would go out to my grandparents for dinner and he would take care of whatever needed to be done there too.  On the alternate weekends he would take us to the park or beach or to farmingdale college to feed the cows. Dinner was usually hot dogs, Mac and cheese and jello made in recycled plastic yogurt cups.  He showed up for every choir concert and Girl Scout square dance and when he came to the house he day of my senior prom and I was running around half naked, hair fizzy and having a total meltdown I’m pretty sure he was ready to call a priest to do an exorcism. Luckily jet showed up.  

He somehow managed to take us on vacation every year to New Hampshire. A little cabin on lake winnipesauke. Years later when he and my stepmom married they created a home upstate for the big extended family we had become. Long weekends with all the littles at papa and nanas. Memories for us all that we are so lucky to have. 

I could go on and on but the most important thing to know about this man is that he was always kind. Never yelled or was in a bad mood with us and I’m sure that there were many days he felt the weight of the world on his shoulders.   About 8 years ago a coworker said to me after answering a phone call from my dad “ya know you still call your father “daddy”. I said yes  I do. That’s who he is  

One of the hardest things about my diagnosis has been knowing how much it hurts his heart. Like any of us as parents would feel. But because I’ve always had your hand to hold I am stronger than most. And whether you realize it or not it’s you that taught me to dance through the hard times. You’re an amazing role model for all your grandchildren and you are so loved. 

A very happy Father’s Day to all the wonderful men i know that put their children first in their lives. 

5 comments:

  1. Love this post, Jeannette. I’m thinking of you all the time, loving your spirit and determination. When my family lived in North Massapequa I would sometimes babysit sit for Renee and Georgette. Vinny would pick me up and drive me home, always asking questions about my life as a new “teenager”…now I know he was training to be the great dad he is! Happy Father’s Day, Vinny, you did a wonderful job!💕

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angela! Thank you for your prayers. I love your story about my dad. ❤️

      Delete
  2. Jeanette, I read your note about your dad. Such a beautiful story. I hope you are on the mend and look forward to seeing you soon at one of the markets. I ask and think you of often. You are incredibly brave. Cat Mulligan (mullcats).

    ReplyDelete
  3. What beautiful thoughts of our "PaPa Vinny". I spent so many weekends at the house in West Sandlake. The entire Candido clan in tow. We had so many great memories.. as long as you didn't open the refrigerator door and stand there looking in...Papa would say " shut that door till you decide what you want...🤣 or don't put the glass your drinking out of down...cause it will disappear.
    PaPa and Nana throw the best parties ever. When I lost my mom & dad, Vin was like still having the man I lost around. He was always supportive and there for me. I love him so very much...he is truly one of the finest men I know...Happy Father's Day, PaPa!🥰 All my love always, Joanie

    ReplyDelete

Infusion 101 over that hurdle

 It’s Tuesday 6-26 and yesterday was my first clinical trial infusion.  Robbie asked if I was nervous when he was driving me there. I said I...